Friday, May 14, 2010

Dining Room Table-New to Us!

Last weekend our neighbor at the gallery decided she was tired of her dining room table. She was in the process of moving the Stickley table down to the trash room to get rid of it when Julie intercepted her in the hall. After hearing how crazy our neighbor is for just tossing an expensive dining room table so as to "not have to bother trying to sell it" Julie snagged it for us! Nice work Julie!

Due to Open Studios this weekend I needed to have the table moved out of the gallery ASAP. Of course it was too large to go in the SUV, so I had to make other arrangements. First call was to Joakim, our installer/resident renaissance man in the gallery. After finding out that he wasn't available I opted for Plan B. Plan B turned out to be a bad plan as Plan B's tend to be. Scott, an installer/furniture and art transported was available and ready to help out. You'd all be proud of my negotiation skills with regards to his fee. Sadly, the saying, "you get what you pay for" keeps ringing in my ears. Sigh.

Our new (to us) old table arrived rather damaged. Granted, it was free, but I still wouldn't display this piece in my house in its current condition. So, after a brief chat, Scott said he'd find someone to re-finish the top of the table for me before we settle up. You best my friend! I promise to stay on top of you until you fix my new (to us) old table! Yes, that it a threat! :)

Anyhow...

It's a 36" round pedestal table with 2 leaves which make it about a 72" oval table. It has a nice inlaid diamond pattern on the sides, and an inlaid wood interior circle on the top of the table. It will be perfect once it's refinished! Although not what we would pick out right now...it will serve us well! Imagine this table paired with a tall upholstered bench (in a velvet perhaps) on the side by the windows, 2 chairs on the other side, and one chair on either end. It's going to be a fun look, if I can ever find this bench I seem to have my heart set on. Oh and a different rug. I'm over this one from our old living room.

What do you think? Was it a good find? I think so!

p.s. Last image is a highlight of the damage. You can't really tell from the picture, but these scratches go into the table about a 1/4 inch. Nice.







































No comments:

Post a Comment