Thursday, April 28, 2011

Doors? We Don't Need No Stinkin Doors!

We were always planning to remove the doorway into the hall from the kitchen. I knew it would open things up but I didn't know how much it would open things up. I pride myself on being able to visualize these sorts of things without seeing them in person. Turns out, I was way off! What a different. It's a little difficult to see in these pictures, but you'll just have to trust me. It makes a whole world of difference. Here...see for yourself:







And a random shot of the back of the bookcase in the gym room. At least it's secure now...


After standing in the house exclaiming "Wow" about a thousand times we decided to bite the bullet and do away the doorway into the dining room.

When One Door's good...Two are BETTER!

And there went the 2nd door...









Can you stand how much brighter things are?! WOW! In fact, we originally wanted to open up the doorway from the hall into the living room, but due to cost constraints we had to cut back on that.

Now...in an effort to be honest, I have to say that I'm not 100% sure on the whole "open it up" plan. My reasoning is that I love old houses with divided rooms, beautiful moldings, and lots of character. Call me weird, but it just feels so much more homey to me! I'm growing accustomed to the new, more open, floor plan. Besides, it's not as though I can change it now! It's a step towards the Great Room that the husband always wanted. And with the vent from the microwave now leading directly out of the house, I'll be a much happier camper with the whole open floor plan idea. It's the food smells that really bother me with the open floor plan...well at least one of the things that bother me about it...

Anyhow. I know you're all bored reading this so hope you liked the pictures. Next up...walls!

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely understand (and picked up on) a bit of your hesitation. I really think that it looks great, though and your house has so much character that you will never lose it. Beautiful moldings, doors, and fixtures abound!

    ReplyDelete