Friday, October 22, 2010

Black Out Shades = BORING!

When we moved into our house, every window has a blackout shade. Seriously, every window. Of course they were covered by all those wispy curtains as you may recall. The curtains were the first thing to go. Next up, at least 1/2 of the blackout shades. Ok, so I appreciate having them in the bedroom, but could one pick out an uglier window treatment? I don't think so!

I'm throwing around some ideas for "dressing them up." Yes I could replace them, but I'm budget conscious. Also, I think by dressing them up (in our bedroom at least) we can get away with having them up for now, thus allowing us to focus our energy, creativity, and budget on other rooms, such as the living room! (or we could always spend said budget on an ipad - no wait, that'll have to wait a few years. sigh)

I'm set on the idea. In terms of execution I've done a few "practice runs" on one of the old dining room black out shades. Yes you read that correctly, they used to be in EVERY room, dining room included. Weird you say? Yes, I agree!

Anyhow, I haven't found a good way to execute my plan yet. I've tried 3 different types of glue. No luck. Either they stick at first, but then don't or they leave a mark you can see through the ribbon. Perhaps I'll have to paint them. I've seen it done so I know it works. Or perhaps a different type of ribbon. Any suggestions?

Here's the look I'm going for. Clean, simple, tailored, graphic. If it works...it will look great with our brown/ivory themed bedroom.

What do you think?



No comments:

Post a Comment