Monday, January 9, 2012

Weekend Happenings

We had an interesting weekend. It was a strange combination of getting a lot done but getting nothing done at the same time. My ban on activity is officially being lifted so I felt the need to take advantage. The real reason I felt the urge to get things done was this:

Can you tell from my terrible cell phone self portrait? The baby has definitely dropped! Of course this happens on Friday when my entire side of the family is in San Francisco for the big 90th and 80th birthday bash! Great timing. But as you can tell from the timing of this post, all is good. No babies were born this weekend while everyone was away. Well I'm sure babies were born - just not mine!

Back to Friday. We noticed on Thursday night that things were-a-changing. Progress-yes, but bad timing. Friday was a tough day for me. It had been a long week at work and Friday ending up being a very full day. I worked from 9-7. Those last two hours really did me in. By the end of the day I was having a lot of trouble walking due to some sciatic nerve pain, not to mention the stabbing pains I was feeling in my pelvis. Awesome. When I finally left the gallery I was just physically exhausted, emotionally drained, and feeling upset that I wasn't able to go to CA to celebrate with my family. All I could think was that they were all having a great time together and I felt left out. Selfish I know, but that's how I was feeling.

Thankfully our Friday dinner plans were rescheduled to Saturday. I needed that break. As much as I love our Friday dinners, I just felt like I couldn't get myself out of my funk enough to be sociable.

Saturday I did some reading and tv watching with some cleaning and organizing mixed in there as well. I also ironed and put the new crib skirt on the baby's crib...thanks to Mom G-K! I love it!!! Here's a picture:

What do you think?
Works great with the paper pom poms - ties everything together nicely. Thanks Mom! Nice work!!

Michael spent the day working on updating our computer, backing everything up, and getting things set up for two users, etc...

Sunday was a bit of a blur. I spent the morning mopping downstairs with my favorite toy - my steam mop! That's right - I love my steam mop. Seriously - it's wonderful. I think it might have been a Christmas present from last year, or the year before from the husband. Not your typical Christmas gift, but I love it. Anyhow after I finished downstairs I needed a bit of a break before heading upstairs. As I got started upstairs it seemed that my steam mop had - well - lost steam. hehehe. No really though, there was no steam, something was wrong. I tried to unplug it, let it cool off and try again. No luck. I unplugged it again, let it cool for a bit, and then attempted to take the head off the mop. This is about when things went terribly wrong. It seemed as though the head was stuck. I gave it a little jiggle and it came loose that it shot across the bathroom, dirty steamy water spraying straight across the room, onto the walls, toilet, sink, floor, window, EVERYWHERE! Thankfully I only got blasted on my hand and wasn't burnt by the hot water. I stood there, stunned, wondering what to do. After a few minutes of laughing about it, I went to find some rags to clean the now filthy bathroom. Oh well - things happen. (By the way - my birthday is coming up. In case you're wondering what you can get me - how about a new steam mop! just kidding - sort of.)

After that adventure I decided to venture out to the grocery store (our favorite produce place as well as the regular store,) and do a few other errands. About halfway through my adventure I regretted going alone. I've never walked so slow through the grocery store in my life. So slow in fact that Michael called to make sure I was ok since I'd be gone so long! While I was gone he worked on a few projects...

Finally sealing the grout in our new kitchen backsplash. Thank you!

He also worked on plastering around the new thermostat so we can paint the wall again and finish up that project.

While I was out I also picked up a couple baskets for the baby's room. We needed something to store the baby-wearing devices in as well as some other things that won't fit in the baby's dresser. This wasn't what I originally had in mind, but I kind of like them. Maybe Mom G-K will make us some fabric liners for the baskets?!?!

I also spotted this bench as well. I don't love the color of the fabric, but it's the only bench I've seen in months that actually fits in the mudroom. It looks better in person - trust me. We don't have much room in there so this was a major find! It'll look much better when we get rid of the coat rack and put hooks and a shelf above the bench. Dad B? Project? :)

The last of my weekend projects involved finally organizing this stuff:

What's this pile of stuff you ask? My hospital bag and other necessities of course! YIKES! Feels pretty official to have that all ready to go!

I finished off the weekend by trying a couple new recipes for homemade granola bars (chocolate chip of course,) and chickpea hummus burgers. The burgers were just ok. And don't you worry - I bought real burgers for the mister as well. I figured he wouldn't be thrilled with my attempt at yet another vegetarian meal. And the granola bars were a fail. I mean they are tasty, but far more cake-like than granola bar-ish. My cuisinart got in quite the workout with these two recipes. We finished off the night by going to see Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with our Friday night plans. Yes that's right, they are people, but they count as a plan these days! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment